Ok…Mother is always right. My mom said the only reason she likes Thanksgiving food is for the leftovers and I will have to agree, this sandwich made from leftovers is my official favorite Thanksgiving leftover meal. I did some investigating and have figured out how to make the ULTIMATE grilled cheese. I had no idea there were so many tips and tricks, I will never make a regular old grilled cheese again.
5 Tips for upgrading your grilled cheese game
- Mayo: Slather both sides of your bread slices. Yes, set down the butter and I DID NOT say this was going to be a low-calorie meal! I mean it’s a grilled cheese for goodness sake! I use Primal Avocado Mayo and it works great! I use Primal to avoid vegetable oils, but you can use any mayo you prefer.
- Toast the inside: By toasting the inside of your bread before you fill it you insure a nice crisp melty grilled cheese.
- The cheese matters: There’s a reason American cheese is the go-to for grilled cheese. But if your feeling fancy other cheese works well too! GruyÃ¨re is what I used in this recipe it complements the leftover cranberry sauce. Other meltable cheeses are fontina, mozzarella, provolone, and cheddar. Regardless of which flavor you go with, using a high-quality cheese brings this dish to the gourmet leftover category.
- Low and slow: Cooking your grilled cheese low and slow will give your cheese the opportunity to melt before your sandwich is browned.
- Spice it up: By adding other toppings you can take your classic grilled cheese to a new level. Caramelized onions, cranberry sauce, turkey, ham, jalapeÃ±os, banana peppers, and arugula are some of my favorite additions.
Turkey Cranberry Melt
This is the biggest reason I make Thanksgiving dinner… I'm really in it for the leftovers and this turkey melt gives me all the feels!
- White bread with a tight crumb – it needs to be sturdy
- Cranberry sauce
Spread mayo on BOTH sides of your bread while heating your griddle or pan. Toast until golden.
Grate your cheese and prep your fillings.
Placing the cheese and other fillings on the toasted side of your bread assemble your sandwich. Return to the pan and cook on medium.